1. People & Relationships

Margaret Richard's Secrets for Staying Fit in Your 60's

By May 20, 2008

When "Body Electric" fitness expert Margaret Richard reached her 50's, the effects of menopause and aging began to undo the fitness routines she'd been faithful to for years. How did she fight back? By altering her exercises and her lifestyle to accomodate aging's changes. And now, Margaret Richard shares her exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle secrets with you.

Photo courtesy of Margaret Richard and Body Electric

Comments
May 22, 2008 at 11:40 pm
(1) Allura says:

I find nothing more boring than these exercise babes. They were annoying in their 30s and they’re even more annoying now. While she’s performing ” twelve 3-1/2 minute muscle-toning exercises every three days, walk 3 brisk miles most mornings, consult with my nutritionist monthly,” I’m living my life and not obsessed with my waistline.

June 16, 2008 at 10:04 pm
(2) bernadette says:

I think Margaret it totally fantastic and very motivating. I have been in the best shape when I do her toning routines. This is why she looks fantastic and much younger than 60!

September 30, 2008 at 10:57 am
(3) Debbie says:

I’d expect a 20-year old to be fit, but growing older tends to slow us down. Even so, 40- and 50-something (and older!) women need aerobic exercise (walking works!) for a healthy heart and weight bearing exercises (5 pound weights work!) for strong bones. Margaret and other instructors of “a certain age” are extremely motivating in that regard … if she can do it, so can I! :-)

December 14, 2008 at 4:07 pm
(4) kathy says:

I have exercised with Margaret Richards for 20 years and I have maintained excellent weight and great muscle tone. I am in my 60s now and usually feel and look a lot younger. I know that using this tv program everyday has been the reason. I recommend the exercise program to everyone either through use of the tv or her tapes and cds.

February 7, 2009 at 8:37 pm
(5) Dicksie says:

I got into Margaret when she was in her 40s (and fabulous) and loved her workout routines on tv every morning. Was happy to see her return in her 50s! And now it’s the 60s. Go Margaret!

February 7, 2009 at 9:49 pm
(6) Karen says:

Margaret Richards is one of the few women dancer athletes that have given women a true picture of health/fitness over decades. Thank you, Margaret!

February 9, 2009 at 3:48 am
(7) Sharon O'Brien says:

I’m looking forward to hearing what Margaret has to say about fitness in her 80′s!

March 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm
(8) Barbie says:

I just love Margaret Richard’s pbs workout. She has such a wonderful body and outlook on life. I hope I am like that when I become 60 years of age. You go girl!!!

May 17, 2009 at 4:59 am
(9) Margaret L. says:

But exercise is about keeping healthy, helping your heart, not just your waistline!
I think she’s great!

June 5, 2009 at 6:04 am
(10) puggy ciulla says:

MARGARET I HAVE WATCHED YOU FOR MANY YEARS AND YOU SAVED MY BODY. YOU ARE NO LONGER ON OUR PBS CHANNEL. WILL YOU BE AGAIN. WE MISS YOU . THANK YOU PUGGY CIULLA

June 20, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(11) Karen says:

Thank you, Margaret, for bringing health and exercise out of the realm of the superficial and into the pragmatic and realistic realm of aging. You’ve set a wonderful example for a longitudinal perspective on health – for those who are brave enough to embrace it!

September 16, 2009 at 11:53 am
(12) Angie says:

I found the first poster’s comments so negative. In order to be fit and healthy, we have to make the sacrifice to exercise and to eat properly as we get older. Many older women can’t move around or lift things simply because they let their muscle atrophy due to inactivity. All of the things that Ms. Richard recommends is a small price to pay for good health.

September 29, 2009 at 11:31 am
(13) Sara says:

Staying fit is not about being “obsessed”…sure, you’ll look better, but, more importantly, you will feel better, have more energy for your other activities, and, in general, have a much higher quality of life than you would otherwise.

November 2, 2009 at 11:41 pm
(14) gem says:

I started exercising with Margaret Richard when I was in my early 20′s, I’m guessing she was in her mid 30′s. (PBS Body Electric was AWESOME!) She was my guru! I’m happy to see she’s still around and still keeping fit! As for Allura, maybe if you tried one of Ms. Richard’s workouts you would feel better about yourself and you might stop hating on people who actually care about their health and well being. Margaret Richard, you deserve to be in the hall of fame!

January 10, 2010 at 10:17 pm
(15) Aurora says:

Margaret Richard Fox is the best thing that has happened to exercise and dance for years ! I found her on TV 20 years ago…and I miss her now. My tapes and t-shirts are ratty, but I proudly wear them & work-out. As an athlete (both parents went to the Olympics) Margaret has helped me to stay fit, healthy, happy mental outlook, and positive. My grown children have grown-up with Margaret (and Friends) and they are healthy too. Wish she hadn’t gone north into a marriage that took her off tv, but she is entitled to her life & happiness. Maggie Richard, we thank you from the bottom of our healthy, happy hearts !

March 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(16) Exercise Babe says:

I am living my life as well. Living healthy makes it all more enjoyable. It isn’t all about being thin. Regular exercise will keeps the body flexible. I have more energy to enjoy an active lifestyle when I work out regularly.

Exercise Babe!

April 7, 2010 at 1:42 pm
(17) Curious Sut says:

I thought I was seeing re-runs of Body Electric. What happened to Margaret. I started watching her 20-30 years ago. I’m 60 now.

July 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm
(18) Robin says:

I’ve been working out to Margaret’s routines for years and I never get board with my workouts. I just alternate them so I am not doing the same routine over and over. Her workouts prove that you can lose weight and be healthy without spending hours on end at the gym, and without spending tons of money on equipment.

July 29, 2010 at 7:05 pm
(19) Maryann says:

I’ve been watching Margaret for 20 years now and I find that she has shows she taped sessions in those years on tv chicago channel 20. what a blast from the past. Hey Margaret, How about putting a show on that has those same staff members you had on in those years…you know like the show “where are they now… I think it would be fun…

October 3, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(20) Deborah says:

I have been enjoying Margaret’s exercise techniques since 1986. I have maintained my shape and peppiness due to my half hour w/ Margaret on a daily basis.

I do have a question; is Body Electric still producing new episodes, or are we to assume that reruns are what is available?

Please let me know, since I would really enjoy some new energized workouts “a la Margaret Richards!!”

Deborah