- Choose your location.
- Beginners can do this knee exercise by sitting on the floor, or on a firm bed.
- Make sure your back is well supported. Lean back on your hands, or against the headboard.
- Place a pillow under your right knee.
- Lift your right foot a few inches, and feel the back of your knee push into the pillow.
- Hold for 10 seconds, then rest your leg.
- Repeat this exercise until you feel a slight burning in the front of your leg. This knee exercise strengthens your quad muscle, which will help to support your kneecap and knee joint.
- Repeat with the left leg, first placing the pillow under your left leg.
- As with your right leg, hold for 10 seconds, then relax. Continue this knee exercise until you feel a slight burning in your quad muscle.
Do this knee exercise at least twice a day, increasing the number of leg raises as your quad muscles get stronger.
Note: When you can easily do this knee exercise for 3 minutes or more, you can add more resistance by sitting in a chair, straightening your leg and lifting it. Keep your leg straight while lifting, but do not lock the knee.