- Sit in a chair with your back straight.
- Keep feet flat on the floor even with your shoulders.
- Hold hand weights straight down at your sides with palms facing inward.
- Raise both arms to side, shoulder height.
- Hold the position for 1 second.
- Slowly lower arms to the sides. Pause. Repeat 8 to 15 times.
- Rest. Do another set of 8 to 15 repetitions.
Note: Start without weights, and as you gain strength you can add weight in increments of 1 or 2 pounds. Cans of soup make a good substitute for weights.