Here are highlights of the interview:
- Retirement housing in 20 years will look, feel and operate much differently than they have in the past.
- Assisted living residents will demand significant involvement in management or governance of assisted living facilities. They will also expect to participate in decisions regarding programs, services and direct care.
- Assisted living residences will likely be smaller, modular clusters closely linked with specialized suppliers and service providers.
- Technology will play a key role in the management of assisted living facilities, and in helping residents perform daily tasks and activities:
- Assisted living facilities will have remote sensing and other types of monitoring to help staff ensure that residents are well and that safety is maintained.
- Tasks that are difficult for individuals to perform will be automated, for example opening doors or turning lights on and off.
- Residents of assisted living facilities will be easily able to alert caregivers if they need help. Auditory or visual prompts will be available for assisted living residents who need help remembering or completing tasks.
- Interactive devises, including appliances, monitoring and entertainment systems, will be wired to provide easier or automated access.
- “Patterning systems” will emerge to provide better monitoring of body temperature, pulse rate, weight and weight fluctuation, and body chemistry patterns.
- Medical records will be continuously updated, and prescriptions will be automatically reviewed to alert staff for contraindications and drug interactions.
- Assisted Living Info This online guide helps with selecting an assisted living facility, retirement community, or other personal care facility, and offers facility selection tips and a map-based search engine to find a facility near family and friends in the U.S.
- Is Your Parent Ready for Assisted Living? Moving a parent to assisted living can be difficult for the whole family. How to know if your parent needs an assisted living facility.
- How to Find the Right Nursing Home Moving into a nursing home is one of the biggest decisions that older adults and their families can make. This checklist will help you ask the right questions and find the best nursing home available.