Founded in the mid-1980s, ElderTreks, a Canadian-based company, has many years of experience creating memorable adventure travel trips that take baby boomers and senior travelers on active adventure travel journeys to exotic locations in more than 60 countries and on every continent -- including Antarctica.
What Are ElderTreks Adventure Travel Trips Like?
All itineraries at ElderTreks stress cultural interaction, close contact with local people, exploration of the natural world, physical activity, and sustainable adventure travel. ElderTreks specializes in creating one-of-a-kind adventure travel trips for people over 50, who are active and interested in stepping off the beaten track.
These adventure travel groups are kept small by design. In fact, ElderTreks guarantees that no group for any of its land adventures will be larger than 16 people. One person in any party must be at least 50 years old, but companions of any age may join them.
ElderTreks also makes it easy to enjoy adventure travel solo. If you're traveling alone but willing to share accommodations, you won't have to pay the single supplement. This is especially good news for adventure traveler enthusiasts over 50 who are single or whose spouse or partner prefers a less adventurous vacation.
How Much Does Adventure Travel Cost?
A handy tool on the ElderTreks main page allows you to search for available adventure travel trips by region, price, and activity level.
Prices for these adventure travel trips range from well under $2,000 per person to well over $5,000, and activity levels run the gamut from “gentle” to “demanding.” A gentle adventure may include easy hikes of up to an hour, while a demanding trip is more likely to include challenging hikes that take several hours to complete.
Where in the World Can You Go?
Recent adventure travel trips from ElderTreks have included a journey that traces the ancient Silk Road through Central Asia, a safari in Southern Africa, and a voyage to the North Pole.
Other trips have taken senior travelers to destinations such as Iceland and the Faroe Islands, New Zealand, Easter Island, Patagonia, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Burma, and the Amazon Rainforest.
All-inclusive Adventure Travel
In most cases, the price of your trip includes:
- All meals and accommodations
- All domestic transportation and departure taxes
- All entrance fees
- All staff costs, from guides to cooks and porters
- All tips at hotels and restaurants
As ElderTreks likes to say about their adventure travel trips, “nothing is left to chance, or to your wallet.” Any exceptions are clearly noted, so you know exactly what your trip will cost before you leave home.
Discounts and Incentives for Adventure Travel
- ElderTreks rewards return customers. If you like your first trip with ElderTreks and want to take another, you will be eligible for a 5 percent discount on the price of your second adventure as part of the company’s ClubTrek Rewards program.
- Additional discounts are available the more you travel, ranging from a 6 percent discount after three trips up to a 10 percent discount after 15 trips.
- Refer-A-Friend is another discount program that allows you to save money when you travel with ElderTreks. When you refer any person who has never traveled with ElderTreks before and they join you on an ElderTreks land adventure, you will receive 5 percent off the cost of your own adventure travel trip.
So the next time you start feeling the need to have a little more adventure in your life, check out ElderTreks for adventure travel -- and start exploring a world that many people never see.