A survey shows that young and older people have different views about when old age begins--even older men and women don't agree. When do you think old age begins, and how does the term "old age" apply to your life?
Never Grow Old--maybe age is only a #
- I am a very proud young gramma at 63 and age is not in the stars for me, never has been. Had my sons when I was young and enjoy my grandkids now. Aches and pains aside, I still am happy and hope they all remember me.
- —Guest Maryokie
When is a person old?
- If a person is not able to care for themselves, to me that person is old. He may only be 20 years old but if someone else has to feed him, wash him, dress him then he or she is old. If a person is able to take good care of themselves when they are 80 years old, then they are not old, yet.
- —Guest getting old
all things move away
- Age takes the better of you by slowly moving you away from your nearest objectives and objects. It is when your feet seem remotely distant from you, making it quite impossible to reach and when you stand up you seem to recalculate you balance as if to steady yourself. A comfortable retired person would indulge more in childhood thoughts and fancies.
- —Guest Philip
The head first
- It begins with the brain ,the seed of life. self decay starts here when you begin the travel back in time into the past more constantly at times forgeting present situations. And about this time you should do the needfull to complete the measure. Either you are going out or you are going in. There were gods before you were and there will be gods after you are . the choice is yours. Do you have reason to be or not to be . Tomorrow will open unto you new worlds and trans incarnations are bound in this map of life and death .You are the thinker the maker of that grand paradise. the young bird simply builds a nest he was born in for the comming of new ones like her. but you call them bird brains. there is no end to the thinkers dream . Everlasting is this universe expanding. But the initials of transition must be done. And you alone know it begins with the brain the seed of life. Then build that nest .
It begins with the brain, the seed of life. Self decay starts here when you begin the travel back in time into the past more constantly, at times forgetting present situations. Either you are going out or you are going in. There were gods before you were and there will be gods after you are. The choice is yours. Do you have reason to be or not to be? Tomorrow will open unto you new worlds. You are the thinker, the maker of that grand paradise. Everlasting is this universe expanding, but the initials of transition must be done. The young bird simply builds a nest he was born in for. And you alone know it begins with the brain, the seed of life. Then build that nest.
- —Guest Philip
"new, not old at 74"
- Nature has given me a new face at 74, and it's up to me how I'm gonna wear it. I have no romantic feelings about my age, but I just feel and think I am newer every day. When I die at 90, I'll be newest to face my creator. He deserves my new look.
- —Guest socorro lawas
When did old age begin?
- I think most people begin to think they are old when they start misplacing their keys. A group of 55+ people gathered this after noon and it was only a few minutes before a comment about lost glasses turned into a round table of commiseration.
- —Guest Sirrot
- Age is a matter of the mind, if you don't mind it don't matter.
- —Guest julie stykemain
Change of perception
- My father always talked about being younger, and people would say to him that he was good looking. He doesn't recall knowing when it changed to "you're looking good."
- —Guest Paul
Change your perception
- My father always mentioned the addage about the age when others change what they say about you. From "you're good looking to you're looking good.
- —Guest Paul
35 is old !
- I am almost 35 and that is old to me because I am a huge sports fan and at this age in sports you're old! Young is 25 or younger. The music I listen to is not what is popular now days. Back in the eighties it was cool to listen to AC/DC and Ozzy , now it's Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.
- —Guest newfie34
Feel the magic!
- . . . when you stop enjoying the 'magic' of thinking younger. From a 72-year-old magician who teaches magic to abused kids.
- —Guest Len 'Doc' Wayne
when do you think old
- It's how old you do feel.. I'm 73 and feel in my early 60's. I do more things now than at 60.
- —Guest anna
Old Age is in the Attitude
- I am 70 with chronic back problems that keep me in pain 24/7. However, I go to Curves 3x per week and water aerobic 2x per week. I keep active with my friends and go out to dinner at least once a week. I started a book club in my community and study Spanish every day. As far as looks, I am sorry to say that just in this last year I have wrinkled considerably, probably because I love the beach and the sun. I don't like the wrinkles but heck, they're better than the alternative.
- —Guest Jane
Why do we reject aging so vehemently?
- I am 60. As such, I am appalled and saddened by the number of people my age and older who are constantly insistent that they're "really 22." (Hey! And I'm turning minus 2 on my next birthday!) Since when did getting older turn into such a horrible thing? I just find it really, really sad that we see no value in aging and the wisdom/maturity it has the potential to bring. (Obviously not everyone gets the wisdom/maturity bit.)
And as for when does old age start - like most people said, it's health-related. I do know, from a gerontological viewpoint, that "old old age" apparently starts at 85. I guess you can subtract from there. Theoretically, I am on the edge of the "young old" group.
- —Guest Susan
old age is not that bad!
- I'm older on the calendar, but I have not decided to be old.